Saturday, May 10, 2014

Austria Day 2: Covering two sides of the religious spectrum!

Day 2: Sunday. It’s going to be a much better day today! The sun is shining and I got an incredible night’s sleep so I am a happy camper. I asked at the front desk last evening for a recommendation for Catholic Mass this morning but I wanted something that was definitely not touristy. They recommended St. Anna’s (or Annakirche), which was a short walk from my hotel (maybe 43-4 blocks). It is located down a tiny little street called Annagasse and you almost walk past it at first. It is very simple from the outside and obviously a place the locals visit. Inside the church was such a change as it was very ornate and beautiful. Small with only one row of pews down the center but completely surrounded by marble (?) walls and frescoes. Simply beautiful! The Mass was entirely in German and there was only about 28 parishioners attending (including me) but that was ok. I wanted a local experience not sitting with 150 of my new closest tourist friends snapping pictures during Mass.
Annagasse

Annagasse

After Mass I went on to the art museum near the State Opera house. The Kunsthistorisches Museum (say that five times fast!) is the traditional art museum and at this time was hosting an exhibit of the Faberge eggs. Sign me up!! Although admittedly not an “art person” I do love me some Faberge eggs. And as a side note, I found the one I want for my next birthday. Take note, Mr. Wicked Pissa……

Kunsthistorisches Museum 

Kunsthistorisches Museum 

Kunsthistorisches Museum 

Kunsthistorisches Museum 

Getting my art and culture on!


After spending a few hours in the art museum taking pictures and getting my culture on I headed back to the hotel for a short rest as my back has been bothering me quite a lot this trip. Walking for long distances and standing really does me in lately.

I then headed out to take the Ring Tram around the ring of the central part of the city. I took the “tourist” version of the ring tram as opposed to the trams the locals take. This is a yellow tram that is specifically geared towards tourist with a price to match. It was E8 and that included the audio guide that points out the sites as you go by. But the tram ride itself was only about 25 minutes and it did seem that was a high price for what you got. But that’s ok, it gave me my bearings and along the tram route I was able to check out sites I wanted to return to visit, such as the Wien and Co wine shop!!!!

After the tram ride I headed over to the Jewish district  (Judenplatz) of the city. Not much is left of the district as it was years ago, but there is a large memorial to the Holocaust victims that is a large stone monument in the corner near the Jewish Museum. The museum is one of a two-part museum and this one holds excavated remains of the medieval synagogue that lies beneath the square. There is also a large display on Amy Winehouse (provided by her family). That was odd but I’ll go with it. I thought she was British not Viennese, but hey…

Holocaust memorial

Judenplatz

I then proceeded to cover some ground walking and window-shopping along some of the side streets. Sometimes just walking around and checking things out and people watching is the best fun! Mental note: everyone here seems to love ice cream. It seemed like everyone was walking around with ice cream cones in their hands all evening. Gotta love a city that loves its ice cream!

And apparently this photo that I took is actually of a famous place and I didn't even know it! It is called Schonlaterngasse, which translates into Pretty Lantern Lane. It is in my guidebook and I didn't realize it when I took the picture. I'm cool like that. 

Pretty Lantern Lane

All in all a much better day than day! A little art and a whole lot of religion completed today’s festivities. I figure that when the great performance review in the sky comes up: I’ve got two of the bases covered!


Tomorrow? The Wine Tour!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment