Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Madrid trip: Day 2

Ahh sleep! It does a body good!! After a good night’s sleep I was off early Thursday morning. The hotel provided a free continental breakfast, as I was a Marriott platinum member so I took advantage of that this morning. There was an option to purchase the buffet but honestly the pastries, fruit, juice and coffee was more than what I needed. And free is free!

Once sufficiently fed, I head off into the city. My first stop? The post office! As you know I have a thing for actual postcards. I purchased some last night and then wanted to get them out in the mail this morning. The lovely desk clerk at the hotel pointed out to me that the post office was actually about 2 blocks away from the hotel and on my way to the Metro stop. So off I went. Super easy to find and much more modern and larger than our post offices. Think a UPS center or something similar. So I walked up to the counter and tried to find someone who spoke some measure of English. Success! One of the ladies at the counter didn’t really speak English but understood enough of what I wanted to help me. I showed her the 10 postcards and said “USA” and she got it. I wanted 10 postcard stamps and to mail those out to the US. Easy peasy. Then I asked for two more stamps to take with me. (I had forgot to purchase 2 postcards for 2 other folks and needed to get 2 more today to send). Between hand gestures and her limited English we got it! I purchased two extra stamps to take with me, she took my postcards and off I went!

Headed back out to the Sol Metro station and in to the Puerta del Sol square. I walked down the few blocks to the Plaza Mayor Square. This square is very famous in Madrid; it was once the main market area when Madrid was once a village. Traditional markets were held here as well as imprisoned folks during the inquisition (they were held under the square in dungeons). Not that anyone really wants to talk about that part of history. But I tell you what, as soon as they start the “great Madrid Inquisition tour of the dungeons”, I’m totally flying back to take that tour!


Plaza Mayor

Plaza Mayor

After walking around a bit and checking things out, I head back to the Metro to head to the Palacio Real (the Royal Palace). It is still the official residence of the royal family but now they only use it for state functions. You are able to take a tour of about 25-30 rooms and use an audio guide in your native language to learn more about the palace. Again, no photos allowed!
I have to say that the Royal Palace ended up being one of my most favorite parts of the trip. I loved walking through the palace and viewing the different rooms. The artwork as well as the decorations was just superb. Highly recommend this to anyone visiting Madrid. I ended up getting there at 10am when they opened and I was glad that I did because as I was leaving there were a couple of student tour groups arriving.

Royal Palace


Across the plaza from the Palace is the Catedral de la Almudena. The guidebook says that it is Spain’s most important cathedral, where royal births, christenings and weddings are celebrated. Honestly, it was a nice church but nothing spectacular. There is a tour you can take of the rooftop and the crypt and I wish now that I had done that but I wasn’t sure I had enough time for it.
Catedral de la Almudena


Because you see, it was Thanksgiving Day for me and I had reservations at Botin, the oldest restaurant in the world. Yes, you heard that right, in the world!! Founded in 1725 it is in the Guinness Book of records as the oldest restaurant and also, Trip Advisor rates it very highly. Had to check it out! I had emailed them to reserve for lunch at 1:00.

Again I was not sure exactly how hard it would be to find the place so I allowed myself a little extra time. Fortunately it wasn’t that difficult being right off Plaza Mayor. They promptly opened their doors for lunch at 1 and I was shown a table on the upper level. Their specialty is the Roast Suckling Pig and since they offered a special with that and an onion soup, bread, ½ bottle of wine and ice cream for a total of 44Euro. Not too bad. And the meal was really good. I am not a huge fan of pork in general but when in Madrid, right??? And there was tons of food. I was one full and happy tourist!
 
Restaurante Botin

I don't take good selfies!

Botin dining room

Onion soup: Yummy!

Roast Suckling Pig

After lunch I needed to walk around and walk off my meal. There was another shop that I was very interested in visiting. Based on my research there was an espadrille shop that is family owned and has been in business for about 150 years. This is the place that the locals go to and in the summer months there is a line of up to an hour to just get into the shop. Had. To. Go. There!

The shop is actually right around the corner from Botin and off the Plaza Mayor as well. It is called Casa Hernandez. The men (no women for some reason) working in the shop are well basically old, cranky Spanish men who speak little to no English and seem just content to be cranky. Love it!! I had prepared myself for this as I had done research telling me to have sizes written out, as they don’t speak English. I was preparing to purchase shoes for folks for Christmas presents (and a few for me as well!). These are all handmade espadrilles and I had a list of ones to buy, complete with the European size conversions. You basically point to what you want on the wall with a yardstick and then I pointed to my notebook with the size I needed. Since they didn’t have ½ sizes I am hoping my gifts will fit the folks I bought them for. It was hard to tell if the ones I bought for myself would fit as my feet were swollen from all the walking!
 
Casa Hernandez

See all the shoes in the window?!

I ended up buying about 7 pairs of shoes, mission accomplished! The one noteworthy thing during my visit to Casa Hernandez was the young woman I met while shopping. I had heard another English speaking person while I was in the shop, but it was obvious she was not American, her accent was different but I couldn’t place it. As I was at the counter she stood next to me and had an adorable pair of floral espadrilles. I asked the shop clerk to get a pair for me as well as they were so cute! So I turned to the girl and we started chatting. She was mid-20’s and had waist length dreads with the necessary nose ring. When I asked where she was from she said she was Russian. Hey I said! I’ve been to Moscow! As I explained that my daughter studied about and I visited her in 2009, she wanted to know what school Meghan went to. When I said UC Berkeley, why she just smiled and said “that is the best school in the US for Russian Literature”. Why yes it is! I find it so amusing that I travel to Madrid to buy espadrilles and meet someone from Russia that knows about UC Berkeley! Love it! It totally is a small world!

After my espadrille escapade I headed back towards Puerta del Sol. I was looking for the chocolate shop to end all chocolate shops! It is called Chocolateria San Gines. A staple in Madrid and opened in 1894 it is a favorite with tourists and locals alike. Basically they serve hot chocolate with fried churros that you dunk into the chocolate. Since I had such a large lunch and it was now getting towards what would be dinnertime I really only wanted a snack for dinner. You get a cup of chocolate and 6 churros for 3.80Euro. Let me tell you, the hot chocolate was orgasmic!!! I am now ruined for all other hot chocolate. For. Ever. I cannot express how wonderful this was. Ahhhhh
3.80 Euro!!

This was amazing!!

Chocolateria San Gines


After my orgasmic chocolate experience I felt the need for a cigarette. No, actually I don’t smoke, but if I did….

Actually headed back to the Sol area for some more shopping. I stopped at El Corte Ingles, which is a large department store. They have a bathroom on the 5th floor. FYI. I hung around checking things out there (they are putting out their Christmas displays and ornaments and such).

About that time it started getting really crowded and crazy with people at the Puerta del Sol area. I was getting tired and the 7 pairs of shoes were getting heavy. Everyone knows that I am not a night owl and I don’t really feel comfortable hanging out with drunks in crowds so I headed back to the Metro and headed back to the hotel.


All in all a full and eventful day. I am really enjoying my stay in Madrid and I realize that maybe I didn’t allow enough time to see everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment