Friday, December 6, 2013

Madrid trip: Day 4 (a slower paced day)

Day 4 of my Great Madrid Solo Trip (Saturday 11/30) brings me to my last day! The prior evening (last night, Friday) I encountered some intestinal distress. Not sure why, but I knew going into Saturday that it would have to be a lighter day. So after a quick breakfast in the hotel I headed out. Several of the shops that I had on my list were open more limited hours today so I wanted to be there around 10ish when they opened.

My first stop is a lovely little chocolate shop called Cacao Sampaka, which is near the Alonzo Martinez Metro stop. It is marked in my book as a great place for designer chocolates with interesting flavors such as rose petals as well as cinnamon. Got a little turned around getting off the Metro and stopped into a perfume shop to ask the clerk for directions. She in turn (limited English) asked her friend on the sidewalk that was pushing a baby stroller. Between the two of them I headed back the way I came to “take a left at the main stop light and then it should be on my left hand side”. Well I managed to walk past it and as I stop to get my bearings the stroller lady comes up and starts speaking to me in Spanish. She followed me to make sure I went the right way and told me that I missed the street. I can’t tell you how many folks have gone out of their way to direct me and in some instances walk me to my destination! (Now if she had just said that it was across the street from the Burger King, I would have had no problems but then again I am American!

Cacao Sampaka is a lovely little shop with an attached café area you can grab a coffee and pastry as well as shop for chocolates. The nice girl at the counter spoke English and I managed to tick off a few more folks on my Christmas shopping list.

Then I was off again! Back to the Metro to find a small ceramics shop that was also mentioned in my book. Antigua Casa Talavera specializes in the yellow and green ceramics from Talavera (a small town south of Madrid). I loved the idea of bringing back a ceramics item from Spain and headed off to find this shop. Again, a little turned around outside of the Metro but once I found the street I wasn’t sure which direction the numbers went. The one I wanted was No2, so if I went the wrong way I could be way off base. So again I asked for help. A young policewoman was standing nearby and when I showed her where I was going (again, limited English) she walked me up the street as we watched the numbers get smaller! Seriously, I don’t think the Chicago cops would do this!! So nice!
 
Outside of Antigua Casa Talavera

The selfies are getting better

Entering the shop is like stepping into a tiny antique shop but with ceramics and tiles. Apparently they have been there forever and the shopkeeper Jose (probably the owner) has to unlock the door to let you in, due to the fragility of the items in the store. I looked around and spent time chatting with the owner, who had great English skills but was also telling me about the different types of shapes and sizes as well as prices and who made each piece. These folks sure know how to do customer service, let me tell you!

I settled on a small teapot and sugar bowl set and paid about 64Euro for the set. Jose went to work wrapping this up for me since I told him I had to carry it on the plane. He wrapped each piece in paper, then in bubble wrap, then wrapped the entire set in paper, then bubble wrap again, and then he wrapped the whole package in brown paper and tied it with string. Seriously although it looked like a kilo of drugs (not that I know what that looks like!) you could have played football with this and it wouldn’t break!
Seriously, how great is this packaging??

I'm in love with my teapot and sugar bowl!

So pretty!


After my ceramics shopping I headed back to the Metro to go back to the Sol area. I knew from the food tour that I wanted olive oil and Turron for gifts for the folks back home. And we had visited both shops during the tour so I knew just where to go. At that point I was starting to look like a pack mule with all my packages and my tummy was starting to act up again. So I headed back to the hotel to rest a bit.

After a short rest, I headed back to Harina for a bite to eat for lunch. My plan was to take my lunch and eat in the Retiro Park, which was across from the hotel. It had wanted to walk through the park and since it was my last day I didn’t want to miss it. So armed with a simple ham/cheese croissant and a cup of hot tea off I went!

Retiro Park is a large, beautiful park (thing Central Park in NYC). It has many areas that are well maintained for kids to play, there are kiosks to purchase food and fountains and statues to look at. There is also a lake in the center and you can rent rowboats and row out into the lake. I settled on a bench and had my lunch and then walked around the park for a bit. The Crystal Palace is on the far end of the park and it is really lovely and a great spot for pictures.
Lake at Retiro Park

Pretty fountain

Inside of the Crystal Palace

In front of the Crystal Palace


By this time it was late afternoon and starting to get cold and dark. I had made reservations for Flamenco show back in the central part of Madrid. The reservations were for 7:30pm but honestly I wasn’t feeling that great. I think the tummy trouble was catching up with me and I ended up cancelling the reservations. I feel bad about that, because I really wanted to see a show but I looked at it this way: it was pretty much the only thing on my list that I didn’t get to do so all in all that makes this vacation a win! Next time, Madrid. Next time!


Tomorrow: heading home!

No comments:

Post a Comment