Saturday, March 14, 2015

Day 3: Someone went to the Colosseum and totally didn’t write on the walls!!

Tuesday looked to be a lovely warm sunny day and we headed out early because we were totally going to the Colosseum! After seeing the lines at the place on Sunday we knew that we had to be there early (just before opening) and get in line. Our strategy worked and we were there about 20 minutes before they opened and had only a short wait until admission. The price of admission (I think it was 12 Euro) included entrance into the Forum as well.



Once past security we headed up the stairs to take in the sights of the incredible amp theater built back in 80 AD. Yes, again you see pictures on TV or online but you can’t imagine it in person. Massive, with wide spaced steps and a steep incline to go up it really doesn’t disappoint. There are many great views to be had inside as well as outside the Colosseum. The early time of our arrival really made it nice because there were no crowds and you could enjoy the views. Knowing the people who died in the Colosseum for “sport” was a little daunting but this is a must not miss when in Rome. I am so glad that I was able to visit and climb to the top. (Note that the steps are quiet steep and spaced apart so it is a challenge for those of us with bad backs or if you have mobility issues. Not sure if there is any type of accommodation for the handicapped.)  ***It is worthy to mention that the day after we were there a news report came out that two American tourists were arrested for defacing the walls of the Colosseum by scratching their names into the walls. Idiots. Not me and I didn’t see anyone doing that. Idiots.







After a quick snack and coffee in the café adjoining the metro we headed off to the Forum. Now the Forum is an archeological site of ancient Rome. It is kind of hard to imagine some of the uses for the spaces but in short it is the remains of 2000-year-old temples, law courts and victory monuments. It was getting quite warm outside and the sun does seem to be hotter in this little valley of history.





We were all doing good at this point (it was maybe noonish) and decided to head out to another area of the city for some sightseeing and shopping. Well, I was shopping, the boys were just my guides!

You see I was looking for a shop in my guidebook that specialized in handmade Italian leather shoes and handbags and such. Yeah, I’m so there! It was in the Campo De Fiori section of the city. Gigi and his Italian language mastery managed to find our way to that area and we walked along stumbling upon some lovely churches and what appeared to be a library. Then I stopped dead in my tracks. A. Fabric. Store!!!!

Gigi mingling with the locals. 


Small, unobtrusive and hidden in a small side street, it was just what I loved! A local fabric shop with the most beautiful Italian silk fabric!! Of course we went in! And of course I had to buy something. According to my business card the place was called Fatucci Tessuti. Gigi had a great time chatting in Italian with the shop owner, a lovely man who no doubt gets very little tourists (based on his lack of English). Now I could have communicated enough to purchase the fabric (I have done this in the Netherlands at the fabric market in den Bosch) but having Gigi there to converse provided much needed conversation about where the silk was made (near the place George Clooney has his villa) and also gave me a little “extra” during the cutting process. I was in heaven!

Beautiful Italian silk!

Silk in hand (or in a shopping bag) we set off again for the illusive leather shop. Stopping in Camp De Fiori we visited a fabulous farmers market and then a small café in the square for a light meal. Amazing food, again!

Lunch!

Let's buy more fabric!!

Finally finding the leather shop Ibiz I was not disappointed. Guidebook says, “shoes and bags are made by hand in an onsite workshop”. Sigh…..  The saleslady was so nice and her English was really good. I bought a fabulous pair of teal sandals. They were so soft that even after walking around all day when I slipped them on my feet felt magical. The leather was like butttaaa….





After full shopping bags we headed out to grab a taxi back to the Marriott for a rest before dinner. Yes, another dinner! We were meeting David and Antonio for a wonderful meal that they said would rock our world. Apparently it is a typical Italian meal. And it did rock my world!  Called L’Orso ’80.


The amount of food that was presented to us was incredible. Why aren’t all Roman people fat? I don’t know because if they eat like this all the time they should be. The food just kept coming.  David and Antonio are great people and the company was just as fabulous as the food. This time, I didn’t stop for gelato before because I wanted to eat. And eat I did!

L'Orso 80









After another successful meal we headed back to the hotel because we were heading out in the morning to Venice via the train! We had a mid morning train so we could sleep in a bit before heading out. Because after that meal I think I was comatose!!



***Michelle’s tip:  Don’t eat gelato before the big dinner meal. And just take pictures at the Colosseum, it’s a historical ancient site people!

No comments:

Post a Comment