Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Day 7: Last thoughts and heading home!

After a not so great night’s rest I checked out of the Marriott and headed to the airport. I was flying back out of FCO to IST where I had a couple hour layover. I’m not going to chat about the IST airport because I already discussed it. Did I mention to grab a trolley as soon as you see one? Because you should. Especially if you are sick.

The flight home was bad. Not that the flight was bad, I was bad. By this time I was so sick (on and off fevers, chills, coughing) that all I wanted to do was get home. And I constantly tried to “look better” because I didn’t want the Airport Powers That Be to think I had Ebola. Because I knew I didn’t but I didn’t want to have that conversation. This is where Global Entry comes in handy. No standing in line with the unwashed masses getting into Boston Logan airport. You just breeze through with hardly anyone looking at you. Best $100 I ever spend. I estimate the line to get back in was 45 minutes or longer. Yeah, I’m so not doing that.

Italy was amazing! I had a wonderful time (even with being sick) and would totally go back again. Not only did all the historical places not fail to disappoint, having the option of hanging out with folks who live in Rome really provided a fabulous experience. Any time you can hang with the locals makes for a more well-rounded trip.


***Michelle’s tip:  I think for my next Italy trip I would perhaps try and do a “region” instead of hitting places so far apart (Venice and Rome). I knew that for my first visit I wanted to see these two cities but the travel time does cut down on the sightseeing time. It was fine, but going forward I think that I would pick a “region” and then make multiple trips to Italy. It is a huge country and so many things to see that you can’t do it all. So don’t try. Enjoy what you can see and just go back another time! Oh and please try the gelato. All flavors.   J

No comments:

Post a Comment