Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Prague Day 2: The one where it was a much better day and I ate tons of food!

Day 2 of the Prague trip: 

Well, it is wonderful what a full night's sleep and a great complimentary breakfast will do for you! I started out early this morning with the idea of seeing a few sights before the noon-ish food tour I had scheduled. Since I had been out and about yesterday I had a rough idea of where I was going. I headed for old town. 

The one thing that I have learned by traveling is if you are going to a well-known "tourist" area (Prague, Madrid, Vienna, etc) then the great time to see some sights before the crowds show up is to go early in the morning. Especially if what you are wanting to visit is a building or landmark where opening hours are not relative. It is so lovely to walk through a town square without mobs of tourists taking pictures, etc. It is quiet and calm and you often see things that with a mob of people you might not get to see. 

Old town at about 8:30 in the morning was like that. I visited the astronomical clock and the old town hall tower. 

After that, I strolled down the main drag to head towards the Charles Bridge. This is the famous bridge that was first built in the 14th and 15th centuries. There are Baroque statues along the bridge (which date to the 17th century). I had heard that this was the one place that was mobbed with tourists and venders as the day went on so I was determined to see this before that happened. So glad I did!! Not only were there very few people on the bridge, it really does have fabulous views!



After the walk across the bridge, I stopped for a quick coffee at a place called Bohemia Bagel (which by the way has Fabulous Free Fast wifi. Just so you know!

I then headed back towards old town and stopped at the Old Town Hall. It was now open and I wanted to take the elevator to the top for "some of the best views of the city" (thanks, TripAdvisor!).  The cost waas 110 KC (about $4.95 USD) and well worth it. Not only did I get some of the best views of the city  (see below) but I met and shared the elevator up and down with some lovely folks from Austria. See "best views of Prague pictures  below!"




After a tour above the city, I walked back to the hotel to rest for my food tour. Now normally I would blog about this all in one but this food tour was so fabulous and so long, it deserves it's own post! Stay tuned for the food tour blog: Possibly the best food tour I have taken (thanks to Carrie!).




1 comment: