Thursday, November 27, 2014

Prague Day 3: The one with the cold, cold weather

Day 3 of the Prague trip: It was cold today. Really cold. I mean like Moscow 2009 cold (Remember that, Carrie?).  But we move onward

I utilized the metro/tram for the first time to get to the Prague Castle. I have not needed to use public transport so far as Prague is such a small city and very walkable. However, I heard (and read) that the steps up to the castle can be very steep and hard to climb and that the tram takes you right there. So I opted for the tram. Good move. Really good move!


Prague's subway (Metro) is similar to others so I won't get into it too much. Just a reminder, similar to Vienna and other cities, they are on the honor system. You need to validate your ticket once before you use it. You can be stopped by the transit police and be fined if you ticket is not validated. I have not been stopped but I did witness it. Just validate people. 

So after a couple subway stops I took tram #22 which takes you up to the castle. The tram system is really cool here and I think that they are used very frequently by locals because trams are everywhere and they always seem full. 

Now Prague Castle is actually not a "castle" persay. It is comprised of several buildings an a type of "royal complex". It is the largest castle complex in the world (thanks guidebook)! The main entrance and courtyards are pretty typical. Get your ticket (CZ 250= $11) and proceed into the enterance towards the massive St. Vitus Cathedral. It is easily the highlight of the visit (IMO). Construction began in 1344 and really is amazing inside. Pictures below. 


After a tour of St. Vitus Cathedral you proced to the Royal Palace. No pictures allowed in here. I was "underwhelmed" by this palace. I normally expect a palace to have the option to go through many rooms and tour the grounds. This doesn't provide that option. There is  a huge riding hall and a few other rooms but they are roped off and not really that exciting. You do, however, see the massive size of the rooms. 

From there you move onto St. George''s Basilica which is the oldest surviving Romanesque bulding daitng from the 10th century. It is very stark and quaint and very different from St. Vitus. 

Then you proceed down the steep area towards what is called Golden Lane. This is a small lane of tiny tiny houses which are now shops. Back in the day they were small houses building into the castle walls and housed the castle guards in the 16th century. The name of the lane comes from the jewelry makers who were once housed there. Very cute and tiny homes. Some of them were so small I had to duck to avoid hitting my head (and I'm not tall). 



You then proceed down the edge of the castle grounds and make your way to the steps down to the street level. There is a lovely area where you can take pictures (below) and then you make your way down the steep, rough, tough steps to the street. It was cold and windy which didn't make things any easier!  Taking the tram was a good option!



After the trip to the castle I took the tram back to town and basically spent the rest of the day alternating between shopping and helping out the Czech economy and then going back to the hotel to drop off my purchases and resting. My back was really bothering me and the cobblestones really  were affecting my feet this trip. 

Last thing waas a lovely (very filling ) Thanksgiving dinner at Cafe Imperial, which is close to my hotel. It was recommended to me by the Food Tour Guide and it was lovely. I had the typical Czech dish of beef with gravy and dumplings and cranberries and pretty much ate mysefl into a food coma!

Stay tuned for another blog post with tips and tricks of things I have learned here in Prague. Then tomorrow's plan will be a Decorative Arts museum as well as the old Jewish Cementary.


No comments:

Post a Comment