Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Prague Day 2.5: The one with the most fabulous Food Tour!

So the food tour. Was. Amazing. Have to give a should out to my travel buddy Carrie who took this tour in London (the same company) and recommended it to me when she heard I was going to Prague. Now, I took a food tour in Madrid and really enjoyed it. This one, however, went over and above that one!

We started out meeting at a place called Choco Cafe. It is as you might suspect, a chocolate/pastry shop. There were 9 of us total in the tour (10 if you count the tour guide). There was one couple from Chicago, one from Bakersfield, CA, one from NYC and another from Atlanta. Most of the couples were around my age. The one couple from NYC and the ones from Bakersfield were younger (mid 20's). All seemed really nice and we did get along great. Although as the only one not "paired up" I did feel a little odd. Such is the story of my life!

See below for the European hot chocolate and the pastry (with whipped cream) to dip into said hot chocolate. Amazing!


The next stop was a 2fer. We went to a bistro called Sisters, which served open-faced sandwiches and across from that was a meat shop/butcher shop called Nase Maso. Both were really good. The open faced sandwiches reminded me of Spanish Tapas and the meats included sausage, cured ham and something called meatloaf which is not like our meatloaf. I hate meatloaf (at least the American style). This was basically the "leftovers" of the meat process and kind of put together in a meatloaf type pan. I didn't ask what was in it. But it was AMAZING!!! Can't even describe it!



We then went to a place (sorry forgot the name) which was across town and where we were served mulled wine and Christmas cookies. The cookies were good but I don't really like mulled wine, so no pictures. However, for the folks who like mulled wine, they said it was really good!!

After that, we walked to another tower (similar to the Powder Tower) and there was a restaurant there called Zvonice Na Casy. This roughly is translated into Belfrey in the the Time Beeing. It's pretty much a restaurant in a bell tower. We had a sauerkraut soup there. It is one of their specialties and although I am not a fan of sauerkraut, this was so much different. It doesn't taste at all like the crap we get in the States. Makes me wonder what else I am accustomed to that really is just crap. 


Then for our last stop (!) we went for the "main course". Because apparently up until this point it has been all fun and games! I'll tell my expanding waistband that there is no reason it should be expanding: we haven't had the "real thing" yet. Damn...

The last stop was called Cafe Louvre. It is a historic Czech cafe which also has a billiard room near the dining room. Just because. 

We had a typical Czech dish with beef served with dumplings in a carrot sauce with whipped cream on top. I also had a beer. Well, 1/2 a beer, but still a beer!! And for desert: Apple Strudel!!! My favorite. And it was all so good!



All in all a full day! The food tour took approximately 4.5 hours. And it was well worth it. I think that the cost was E65. I pre paid online when I booked the tour and it was charged as Euros, not Czech Crowns. Total USD is about $80. So worth it. I can't believe how much food we had, as well as a great guide in Mirka. She was able to provide both food and historical information. Thanks again to Carrie for the recommendation!

Tomorrow: Prague Castle!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment