Sunday, November 20, 2016

November 19- Tokyo Narita airport

Well I made it! Tokyo Narita airport.  Nearly 14 hours later and I am completely exhausted!
Then, you exit out into the airport proper area. The space with all the shops, booths, restaurants, etc. Now it might have been just me and my exhaustion but this airport was a bit overwhelming. And I am used to airports. I think it was a combination of the exhaustion and all the Japanese advertisements. They are a bit over stimulating!

After walking back and forth for a bit, I managed to find out that I needed to go downstairs via the escalator to get my JR pass activated. Once you go to the lower level, there are MORE shops, booths and restaurants. It is a bit overwhelming but honestly I am glad that I had this evening to get my bearings. Once you go downstairs, pretty much straight ahead is the JR Pass East office. Be warned, it's crowded. Everyone who ordered their JR Pass voucher is there to get their pass activated. But the line moves smoothly and the agents all speak good English.

Once the JR Pass was activated, directly next door was a Starbucks. You guessed it, I went ahead and got my mugs! I figured that I would be shipping a box home of summer clothes from Guam and I could include the mugs, and one less thing to carry around!


Then after chatting with someone at the information desk,  I headed back up the escalators heading towards where the buses were. I passed an ATM bank on the right- stop here and use the 7-11 ATM to get cash. Research has told me that often US debit cards don't work in Japan and that the 7-11 ones will accept our cards. It did and I grabbed some Yen and moved on my way.

I had planned to spend the night at the Tokyo Narita Guesthouse, which was marketed as the "only hotel inside the Narita airport". That is not entirely accurate as I found out. It is actuall around the corner from the airport, you need to take a hotel shuttle bus there. Go to bus stop 16, which is the stop for all the hotels and wait- they run about every 20 min to Narita Guesthouse. After a less than a mile drive to the hotel, my exhausted self checked in an went up to my room. 

The hotel is not anything fancy. It is old (like maybe left over from the 60's old) and it kind of has that "old smell" to it. But, it was clean, convenient and there is a restaurant onsite. And it was about $83USD a night. Yeah.



More on the hotel in my TripAvisor review, but I found that it met my needs just find. Grapped a quick bite in the restaurant,  a type of rice and beef dish. Then headed to bed. I was beat. Tomorrow is Guam!

No comments:

Post a Comment