Sunday, November 27, 2016

November 26- Tokyo!

Today was my first full day in Tokyo. After a good night's sleep, I headed out early. I do better early in the morning - as the day moves on, my back gets worse. And I also had to deal with my knee injury. Sigh...

I think that I might have figured out the train/ subway system- at least as the day went on. It is super confusing from the standpoint that there are something like 12 or 15 subway lines. It's totally worse than NYC, IMO.

First stop? Senso-Ji Temple. This temple has been rebuilt several times since it's founding in 628 and is the oldest temple in Tokyo (thank you guidebook!). It was easy to find, and on your way to the temple itself, once you pass through the gate, there is a row of shops and kiosks that you can buy trinkets and souvenirs. Pretty standard fare, but I did snag some postcards. Sweet.

I took tons of pictures on the outside grounds of the temple, but was unable to enter the santuary/ alter/ holy area as there was some kind of special "service" going on and tourists were not welcome. No worries, I respect that. No fee to get in here, and you can take all the pictures you want outside. There were already a tons of people milling around and it was probably around 8:15 am or so when I got there. I can only imagine it around 2pm.










From there I took the subway (look at me go!) to the Ueno Park/ Tokyo National Museum area. The Ueno Park is a massive complex that has several museums, a zoo, shrines and in the spring tons of cherry tress. This place is huge and I won't even try to tell you I walked it all. Remember, my wonky back. This is also a favorite tourist place and already when I got there around 10 am it was super busy, with both tourists and locals. I imagine that the locals bring their kids here to run off their energy. I would. This park reminded me of the complex in Moscow where they had all the buildings set up that represented the different areas of the USSR. Yeah, I can't recall the name of that place. But Carrie would remember.  :)

I headed to the Tokyo National Musuem, which is on the right side of the park when you walk in. Kind of about 1/2 way into the park itself.  Did I mention this place waas massive?  The admission price to the museum was 620 Yen or about $6 USD. They have some wonderful exhibits and statues and artifacts that date to the 8th century. Yeah, I said the 8th century. Americans are infants.






After touring the museum and swinging by the gift shop (had to get a picture book for Michael) I decided to take a rest outside on one of the many benches in the complex. It was a lovely, sunny day and there were food trucks set up with some wonderful smelling food that I of course couldn't eat for fear of dying right there. I had peanut butter crackers.  Sigh...

At this point I was ready for my mid-day rest. I have learned that with my back it is best to start out early in the morning, go for a few hours and then head back to the hotel to rest for an hour or so before heading back out again. It really is the best way for me to get the most of the time I have. I didn't do that on my Italy trip on the day I went to the Vactican and I was in agony by the time I was able to stop for lunch (around 2pm). It may sound like an old lady plan but although I am not old, I have an old lady back.


After a rest and regrouping at the Marriott, I headed back out. My first stop was to the Shibuya section of the city, where I was looking for a certain shop (Oriental Bazar). This was a super high end shopping district and this particular shop was a god placed to buy some souvenirs and in particular the Yukta (summer cotton kimono) which I was looking for. After a few turns around once I got off the subway, I found the place and subsequently spent enough money to qualify for tax free status, which I guess I claim when I go through customs. No judgement.

Next I was heading to the Ginza section of the city. I had been there the day before as I was looking for a place that sells all kinds of chopsticks. So I was slightly familiar with the area. It is a huge, bustling shopping district and my goal was to find a restaurant that I thought wouldn't kill me. It waas called Bird Land. I will post another post on just that place, as I have tons of pictures. It was fabulous and I am alive to tell the tale!

After that, I headed back to the hotel as it was a ful day and we all know I am not a night person! UIKEYINPUTUPARROW

No comments:

Post a Comment