Saturday, November 19, 2016

The travel day

So, I'm off.  The long, long travel day is upon us. the Delta flight from Detroit to Tokyo was fine. No major problems or delays. My knee was still hurting and I had a hard time getting comfortable but that is to be expected on a 13 hour flight! I did have a problem with the in flight entertainment, I was able to watch one movie, but then the audio cut out and even with them resetting it, it never did come back. No huge deal, I would have liked to watch another movie but I had my phone and music. First world problems.

Landing at Tokyo Narita airport slightly ahead of schedule. Now I am going to give some advice on what to do when you land based on my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Once you deboard the plane you walk a bit until you get to the immigration/passport control area. This line is long (depending on how many flights just got in) and my suggestion is to use the restroom first before getting in line. There are several to chose from and you will thank me later. Once at the immigration counter, all people have their picture and their fingerprints taken. Standard procedure. What I recommend is to NOT look at the picture on the screen that they just took of you. I slightly resembled an extra from the movie Zombieland. Just don't.

After getting your passport stamped you head through and down the escalators to the baggage claim. Since the immigration line was so long our bags from the flight were waiting there - good to go! Once you collect your bags you move up to the customs counter and a nice young man asks you a few standard questions, then you are on your way!

...More on next page

No comments:

Post a Comment