Monday, November 28, 2016

November 28th- Kyoto

The next leg of the journey? Kyoto!  I checked out of the Tokyo Marriott and walked back to the Shinegawa station to catch the JR bullet train to Kyoto. I had reservations on the 9:40 am train and got to the station in plenty of time. The Japanese really know how to do train travel. The trains leave at exactly the designated time. Your ticket has a car number and seat number (if you reserved a seat, like I did) and when you get to the platform (which by the way is crazy clean), you like up under the sign designated for your car #. It's all just so efficient and neat. Also, people actually queue to enter the train. No pushing and shoving done here. Are you listening, NYC???

The train ride to Kyoto was about 2 hours and change. I'd say 2 hours, 20 minutes (I wasn't timing it). Once arriving at the Kyoto Station, be prepared for another massive train station that houses the JR lines (the bullet trains), regional trains, the subway, a shopping mall and restaurants. All in all it was about 11 floors or more. It's overwhelming.

My hotel was said to be located directly across the street from the station, and it was. The main (central) gate (they call them gates and not exits) leads right out to the bus walkway area and the hotel was directly across the street. On top of it sits the Kyoto Tower, which is kind of like rocket ship thingy on top of the building. It has a lookout where you can get views of the city.


My room was not quite ready to check in, so I waited about 20 minutes. No worries, I would rather wait a few and drop off my bags and freshen up first. The room itself was tiny (which I expected based on reviews) but clean and all that I need. I mean, we all can't stay in the Marriott all the time!

After a few minutes, I headed out into the city. It was nearly noon by now and I wanted to start off at a temple that was very close to the hotel. The Higashi Hogan-Ji temple is about 1/2 mile walk from the hotel. It is a large temple complex that is free to get into, with several old gates on the sides of the complex. The main hall area is a large building where you can enter (once you remove your shoes) and reflect and honor those before you. I wasn't able to take pictures in the hall but I can tell you that it was lovely and calm and serene. The floor was bamboo (I think) under our feet and gave such a "homey" feel to it, even with it's massive size.







From there, I headed out again to find the  Nishiki Market. This outdoor (but covered) market area has it's said 130 some odd shops and supposedly has been a working market since around the 14th century. There are all kinds of food stalls as well as some souvenirs but the main draw is the seafood. You know, basically my own private hell. Sigh...




I did grab some matcha chocolates for gifts and some postcards as well as some non-lethal cookies. Spent about an hour here and honestly I could have spent more time but it was super crowded and I was getting a bit of closed in feeling.  So I headed back out again.

I next headed back to the Kyoto Station and it's array of shops and restaurants. I was looking for a place that had several tiny restaurants in one area that all carry different types of ramen. I found it, however not one place could accommodate my allergy. It was frustrating and I am not going to comment any more on that. Food for me in Japan is very challenging and it's sad, because it's not that I am not an adventurous eater (I would try the stuff)- it's that it will kill me. And although I do like a good itinerary- I didn't want to have dying on my list. Sigh...




Rest of the evening was spent just walking around and getting my bearings, finding the post office and mailing post cards as well as checking out some of the shops around the station for further reference. Just a side note, I have found an out 4 different Starbucks in a several block radius. Not sure what that is about.

Tomorrow? Heading out for my first full day in Kyoto!!

No comments:

Post a Comment